You know I stay up late and think about things. Last night I was thinking about how I could fix the disaster that was Simplicity 1427 (see here).
I decided that would be my goal today, and as soon as I took care of the dog and her business this morning, I went to the craft store by my house. I bought bias tape and elastic. My first order of business was to take out not one but two hems (one was folded and sewn into the other). I told you it was a disaster. It took forever. Once out, I had to cut the inner skirt to match the tulle. It took a couple of adjustments to get right. In the end I think I cut about 4 inches off the inner skirt. I am aware that bias tape is a total cheater way to hem things but satin is ridiculous and I think the different fabric texture adds a bit of character to the skirt.
The second thing I had to fix was the yoke/casing disaster. The first thing I did was take out the the stitching where I had sewn the underskirt to the yoke. After that I sewed the underskirt to the tulle skirt because it was attached at the yoke. Then, I took the yoke out completely and am still trying to figure out why it's needed in the first place. I read and reread directions and looked at the pictures and still couldn't figure it out. So I attached the casing directly to the skirt and underskirt.
After that everything looked so much nicer. I can even show the top of the skirt now where I wouldn't dream of doing that before.
Here's a pic:
It still doesn't fit in the mirror but I am so happy with this now. Now that I've solved the mystery of this pattern, I can't wait to make more! I'm lining up pink and black tulle skirts. I'm also apologizing in advance to everyone on the subway.