Tuesday, August 23, 2016

You just got Holtzmann'd baby!

Didn't everyone?  I mean women anyway.  If you're in the dark here, I'm talking about the new Ghostbusters, and the eye candy that's not Chris Hemsworth's Kevin but that is Kate McKinnon's killer Holtzmann.  And I mean killer.  Lesbians and bisexuals fell hard for brilliant engineer and all around wacky Dr. Jillian Holtzmann, and if you do a general internet search you'll find that straight women are claiming they'd "go gay" for Holtzmann.  Now on a soapboxy note I don't think anyone can "go gay".  Either you were to begin with or you're just saying that and you'd chicken out when it comes to the deed.  (You know what I mean here.)  But that's a rant for another time and place.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I'm just gonna copy her entire wardrobe and only buy things that are Holtzmann-esque from now until forever.  I'm not kidding.  You should see the stack of Holtzmann patterns I've got ready to go.  You should know that this is not a new thing for me.  I've been dressing like movie (and later TV characters) since high school when I used to dress like Ted from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

First of all it's worth noting that if I had a cosplay blog it'd be called The Lazy Cosplayer because even though I'm all about accuracy, I'm more about achieving said accuracy via the least amount of work possible.

With that this lazy cosplayer brings you Holtzmann's jodhpurs.  These appear in the hearse scene and  in the credits.

Here's some reference pics:





So there they are.  Fortunately today I was really lucky and I found two knits that matched these colors pretty damn closely and to top it all off, they were $1 a yard.  Not kidding.  It was my lucky day.  I say knits because I used this pattern:


(Remember Lazy Cosplayer.)  A side note about this pattern.  I made style B in 2011.  You can check them out here.  Basically for the last 5 years they've been one of my favorite pairs of pants.  I can see this happening with Holtzmann's jodhpurs as well.

Anyway, here's the finished product:


Please note that the brown patches are pretty close to even (they just don't look that way because of how I'm standing).  Technically they are not patches but a brown semi-textured knit fabric (which surprisingly looks a bit like leather.)  I'm not an expert here but I would recommend using two knit fabrics because of the way knits need to be sewn together (stretching and all that jazz).

Now, in case there are those out there who'd like to make a pair like these I'll briefly run down how I altered the pattern to make what you see above.
  1. Cut out pattern back and front as per usual.
  2. Casing was cut double in size to make these more high waisted (as is the Holtzmann style).
  3. I cut out the cuffs but decided after watching this scene on YouTube 150 times that cuffs were not needed, so to save you time and effort, you don't need to cut out the cuffs.
  4. Don't sew anything yet.
  5. Use the front pattern piece to line up and cut the inner edge of the brown patches.  I just eyeballed the outer curved edge.  Sew the brown patches on before assembling the rest of the pattern.
  6. Assemble pattern following directions omitting cuffs and just hemming the legs.
That's it!  The only thing that was really time consuming was sewing on the brown knit patches.  I'm so happy with the way these turned out!

I've definitely been Holtzmann'd.

No comments:

Post a Comment